As an HLS student you are allowed a LIPP-eligible budget increase for the purchase of a computer. This increase is limited to a maximum amount of $2000 and occurs once over the course of your three year education at HLS.
Please be certain to read all of the information contained on this page in order to know when to make your request, what items are eligible and ineligible, and when you can expect disbursement of the funds.
Entering Students: July 1, 2015 is the first day you can begin this process for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you purchase a computer prior to this date, HLS cannot consider it as an education expense and, therefore, we cannot help you finance it.
Continuing students: You may apply for a computer reimbursement or advance between the months of July 1, 2015 and April 1, 2016. Any computer purchased between April 1, and June 30 of any given year is not eligible for a computer loan request.
IMPORTANT: Someone else cannot purchase this computer system for you. All purchases must be made in your name.
In order to receive approval for a computer loan request, you must complete the Computer Loan Request web form, file a loan application and complete all required loan documents, and submit receipts for your eligible purchases. Students who are not able to pay for their computer components upfront will not submit their receipts until we have advanced them loan funds and they have made their purchases.
Below is a list of eligible and ineligible computer components. Each computer system purchase MUST include one and only one computer (laptop OR desktop, not both). Additionally, the following approved accessories are eligible for inclusion in a computer system purchase AS LONG AS their prices are included in your initial computer request. We will not make additional adjustments to your budget should you decide to purchase any of these approved accessories after your original application. Only one computer loan will be approved per student throughout his/her entire enrollment at HLS.
- Monitors (Note: You may purchase a monitor with both desktops and laptops.)
- Netbook or iPad (as long as no other laptop is purchased and subject to the $2,000 limit)
- Ink Cartridges
- Basic Computing Software i.e. Microsoft Office/Windows, MAC OS, Firewalls, Antivirus (Note: For specific software inquiries, please contact Student Financial Services. If you purchase software that is not specifically listed here without prior written approval from Student Financial Services, inclusion of that software in your approved computer loan amount will be at the discretion of the office.)
- Computer Speakers
- Carrying Cases
- Extra Memory/Wireless/Video/Sound Cards
- External Hard Drives
- USB flash drives/UPS/Cables/Adapters
- Extra Battery Charger for Laptop Battery
- External Microphone
- Computer Docks
- Warranty and Extended Warranty (Note: Since students are approved for one computer loan throughout his/her entire enrollment at HLS, we recommend purchasing extended warranties whenever possible.)
You may purchase components of your system separately, but since Student Financial Services can only permit each student ONE computer loan request, you must include all of these components in one request. Again, only one computer loan will be approved per student and Student Financial Services will not increase supplemental loan amounts once they have been approved.
- iPods/mp3/4 Players
- Fax/Copy Machines
- Apple Watches
- Palm Pilots/PDAs/Handhelds
- Gaming Systems/Software
- Paper (Should be budgeted by student out of the Books & Supplies portion of the standard student budget)
Approval of items not on the list of approved accessories is at the sole discretion of Student Financial Services. If you purchase one of these items without receiving prior written approval from a Financial Aid Officer, that item will not qualify for computer loan coverage.
The deadline to apply for any new supplemental loan funding (including funding for a computer purchase) for each academic year is April 1st. ALL computer loan requests must also be complete by April 1st.
The following table indicates the schedule by which computer loan requests will be processed. The “File By” date refers to the date by which your Computer Loan Request form (and all associated information) must be complete.
|File By||Sept. 12th||Sept. 30th||Oct. 15th||Oct. 31st||Nov. 14th||Nov. 26th||Jan. 15th||Jan. 30th||Feb. 13th||Feb. 27th||Mar. 13th||Apr. 1st|
|Check Mailed or Sent via eCheck By||Sept. 30th||Oct. 15th||Oct. 31st||Nov. 14th||Nov. 26th||Dec. 12th||Jan. 30th||Feb. 13th||Feb. 27th||Mar. 13th||Apr. 1st||Apr. 15th|
- Harvard University cannot release funds to non-registered students. If you wish to purchase a computer system during the summer months, you must purchase it out-of-pocket and apply later for a Computer Loan Request.
- If you have any outstanding charges on your billing account at the time of your application, these charges will be subtracted from your check. If your charges exceed the amount that you are requesting for your computer system purchase, you will not be eligible to receive a check. You will, however, remain eligible for a budget increase and for a loan to cover your computer-related expenses provided you submit the required documentation and apply for a supplemental loan.