Bruce H. Mann, Carl F. Schipper, Jr. Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, teaches American Legal History and Property. He has also taught as a visiting or permanent member of the faculty at the law schools of Washington University in St. Louis and the universities of Connecticut, Houston, Texas, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, and in the history department at Princeton. His five teaching awards include one at Washington University and four at Penn, including the university-wide Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching. He did his undergraduate study at Brown and received his law degree and Ph.D. in history from Yale. His publications include Neighbors and Strangers: Law and Community in Early Connecticut (University of North Carolina Press, 1987 [paperback ed., 2001]), a co-edited volume of essays entitled The Many Legalities of Early America (University of North Carolina Press, 2001), and articles and essays in various history journals and law reviews. His most recent book, Republic of Debtors: Bankruptcy in the Age of American Independence (Harvard University Press, 2002 [paperback ed., 2009]), received the SHEAR Book Prize from the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic, the Littleton-Griswold Prize from the American Historical Association, and the J. Willard Hurst Prize from the Law and Society Association. He formerly was editor of the Law and History Review. He is a Fellow of the Massachusetts Historical Society, an elected Member of the American Antiquarian Society, and, for 2011-2013, President of the American Society for Legal History.
- Ph.D. History Yale University, 1977
- M.Phil. Yale University, 1975
- J.D. Yale University, 1975
- A.B. Brown University, 1972
- A.M. Brown University, 1972
FavoriteBruce H. Mann, Republic of Debtors: Bankruptcy in the Age of American Independence (Harvard Univ. Press 2002).
FavoriteBruce H. Mann, Neighbors and Strangers: Law and Community in Early Connecticut (Univ. N.C. Press 1987).
- Bruce H. Mann, Introduction, 30 Law & Hist. Rev. 135 (2012).
- Bruce H. Mann, The Transformation of Law and Economy in Early America, in The Cambridge History of Law in America 365 (Christopher L. Tomlins & Michael C. Grossberg eds., Cambridge Univ. Press 2008).
- Bruce H. Mann, Failure in the Land of the Free, 77 Am. Bankr. L.J. no. 1, Winter 2003, at 1.