FRIDA, Faculty Research & Information Delivery Assistance, is the primary service for faculty members to obtain delivery of known documents, from the Law Library or other sources.
- Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Closed during all Law School holidays.
- FRIDA will receive requests sent on weekends or holidays on the next business day.
Harvard Law School Faculty members may request office delivery of books and copies by employing any of the following methods:
- Using our FRIDA request form
- E-mailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sending a written request to FRIDA, Langdell 262
- Calling the FRIDA office (617) 496-2147
Format of Requests
Please include the following information in your request:
- Your name
- When you need the requested item. Items are processed on a first come, first served basis so if you need the materials very quickly please indicate “rush” and specify the time constraints of the request.
- Any special instructions, e.g. two pages per copy, this edition only, etc.
- For article requests:
- If a Westlaw, LexisNexis or other text format is acceptable
- If you would prefer us to send you the bound volume or send the request to the Copy Center
- If you do not want to receive the item electronically
We make every effort to provide material within the turnaround times listed below.
- Both standard and rush turnaround times may be delayed during busy times of year, especially at the beginning of each semester.
- Delivery may be delayed if the item is charged out or not available on the shelf.
- FRIDA staff will contact you if the item needs to be recalled from another patron or acquired through interlibrary loan.
- Rush requests submitted before 3:00 p.m.should be filled by the end of the day.
- Rush requests submitted after 3:00 p.m. should be filled by the end of the next business day.
- Rush requests for articles will be filled in whatever format we can provide most quickly .
- We make every effort to prioritize rush requests based on patron deadlines. When we have more than one request with the same deadline, we will process requests on a first come, first served basis.
Requests for Law School Library Material:
FRIDA accepts requests for the following Law Library materials:
|Books and bound journals held on-site||1 business day|
|Books and bound journals held at the Harvard Depository||2 business days|
|Articles available online in PDF||1 business day|
|Articles from print sources||2 business days|
Material from other Harvard Libraries (Sneakernet)
FRIDA can borrow circulating materials from the following Harvard Libraries:
- Fine Arts
- Loeb Design
FRIDA staff members deliver books, photocopies and routed material twice a day, Monday-Friday, to faculty offices on the Law School campus. Please leave items to be returned in Library Return bins located in most office suites. To change your delivery address or if you have questions related to office deliveries, please contact the FRIDA office at 617-496-2147.
If an item is not available in one of the Harvard Libraries that supports the FRIDA program, the Document Delivery Department will request the item via Interlibrary Loan.
- It generally takes from seven to ten days to receive an interlibrary loan.
- Loan periods and renewals are set by the lending library.
- Interlibrary Loans may be subject to restrictions set by the lending library (e.g. in-library use only, no photocopying).
- For more information about our ILL policies or to submit an ILL request, see our ILL web page.
Contact Anne-Marie Taylor, Access Services Resource Sharing Coordinator, at 617-495-5093 for additional information.
- Items can be renewed five times.
- Items can be renewed online using the “My Account” features in HOLLIS.
- If an item can no longer be renewed, please bring it to Langdell Circulation. If no other patron is waiting for the item, we can discharge it and check it out to your account again.
Interlibrary Loan Books:
- Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library and may not be available for all ILL books, so we urge you to use ILL material promptly.
- We will request up to two renewals for an ILL book.
- ILL material should be returned as soon as it is due.
All items borrowed through FRIDA and ILL are subject to recall. You will be notified by e-mail if a book has been recalled for another library patron. Please return recalled items as soon as possible or expect fines. Either bring them to the Library Circulation Desk or drop them in the Library Return bin.