Open to all researchers regardless of their affiliation, Historical & Special Collections houses one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of research materials for the study of legal history. Its chief mission is to acquire, catalog, preserve, and make available to researchers materials that document the history of the law in general and of Anglo-American law in particular. Historical & Special Collections holds nearly three thousand linear feet of manuscripts, over three hundred thousand rare books, and more than seventy thousand visual images.
Monday-Friday, 10am to 5pm
The Historical & Special Collections reading room will be closed on the following days:
- October 10, 2016
- October 13, 2016, 3:30-4:30
- October 20, 2016, 10:00-12:00
- November 11, 2016
- Historical & Special Collections Research Class: HLS students are invited to join Historical & Special Collections staff to learn about what we collect and how to do research in HSC. Join us on Thursday, October 13 from 3:30-4:00 to learn more!
- Archiving Student Action at HLS: If you are a member of an HLS student organization, formal or informal, that would like to preserve the record of your organization’s contributions to HLS (or would just like to talk about what we are doing), please contact the Historical & Special Collections staff!
- Did you know that the HLS Library is on Instagram? Take a look at photos tagged #HLSLspecialcollections to see our contributions!
Image credits: Photos by Brooks Kraft, 2014.