Open to all researchers regardless of their affiliation, Historical & Special Collections houses one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of research materials for the study of legal history. Its chief mission is to acquire, catalog, preserve, and make available to researchers materials that document the history of the law in general and of Anglo-American law in particular. Historical & Special Collections holds nearly three thousand linear feet of manuscripts, over three hundred thousand rare books, and more than seventy thousand visual images.
Monday-Friday, 10am to 5pm
The Historical & Special Collections reading room will be closed on the following days:
- October 28, 2016, 2:00-5:00 (limited availability)
- November 11, 2016
- November 22, 2016, 3:00-5:00 (limited availability)
- November 24-25, 2016
- December 26, 2016 – January 2, 2017
- Archiving Student Action at HLS: If you are a member of an HLS student organization, formal or informal, that would like to preserve the record of your organization’s contributions to HLS (or would just like to talk about what we are doing), please contact the Historical & Special Collections staff!
- Did you know that the HLS Library is on Instagram? Take a look at photos tagged #HLSLspecialcollections to see our contributions!
Image credits: Photos by Brooks Kraft, 2014.