October 11, 2018
The Office of Career Services (OCS) and the Bernard Koteen Office of Public Interest Advising (OPIA) welcomes 1Ls to career advising at Harvard Law School. We look forward to working with you and partnering with you to help you achieve your career goals. As you think about your career goals for the next three years, we encourage you to explore the many options available to you.
OCS and OPIA are both located on the fourth floor of Wasserstein Hall.
- OCS offers career development resources for students interested in pursuing private sector opportunities (including law firms, in-house legal departments, investment banks, management consulting firms and more) as well as judicial clerkships.
- OPIA provides career development resources to students interested in public sector opportunities (including legal services organizations, advocacy nonprofits, government, prosecutor and public defender offices, international organizations, and private public interest and plaintiff’s law firms) as well as fellowships.
Making an Advising Appointment
You may now log into our appointment scheduling systems to schedule a career advising appointment with an OCS and/or OPIA advisor. Available appointment dates begin on October 15. Information on how to make an appointment is available on the [link_to id=45486 title=”1L Career Advising”]1L Career Advising page.[/link_to] Please limit yourself to one appointment per office initially.
Even though some employers will begin hiring 1Ls in December, whether you start your search in October or November or wait to begin this process after your final exams, rest assured that you will secure a job for this coming summer. Therefore, schedule an appointment with an advisor when you feel ready to do so and when it will not interfere with your studies.
Before you meet with an advisor, please be sure to read the following:
- [link_to id=46489 title=”1L Job Search Overview”]Overview of the 1L job search process[/link_to]
- [link_to id=12814 title=”Timeline for the 1L Job Search”]OCS[/link_to] and [link_to id=107887 title=”1L Resources and Timeline”]OPIA[/link_to] timelines for your 1L search
- Links to [link_to id=11765 title=”Office of Career Services”]OCS[/link_to] and [link_to id=2269 title=”Bernard Koteen Office of Public Interest Advising (OPIA)”]OPIA[/link_to] resources on this site
Additionally, if you missed our introduction program on September 26th, you can [link_to id=236528 title=”Career Planning: An Introduction to OPIA and OCS”]see the video and presentation slides[/link_to].
We also strongly recommend that you complete the [link_to id=46442 title=”Self Assessment”]self-assessment exercises[/link_to] prior to your first appointment with your chosen advisor to ensure that you benefit from the session to the fullest. Also be sure to bring your resume (preferably updated after reviewing our [link_to id=17356 title=”Resume Workshop”]resume[/link_to] and [link_to id=17352 title=”Cover Letter Workshop”]cover letter[/link_to] workshops online) to your advising appointment.
Note that for resume and cover letter review, OCS advisors will review materials during advising appointments and lunchtime workshops, and OPIA offers a resume and cover letter review service outside of regular advising appointments.