Reference Librarians do not practice law and, therefore, are not permitted to:
- conduct legal research for patrons,
- provide legal advice or opinions,
- read a legal authority over the phone, even if provided with a citation.
If you require legal assistance, please contact your local Bar Association for referrals to attorneys; or visit the American Bar Association information site.
In Massachusetts, referral sources include:
For information about legal services for people with low incomes, contact:
- Legal Advocacy Resource Center, 617-603-1700 or 1-800-342-LAWS
- Greater Boston Legal Services, 617-371-1234 or 1-800-323-3205
- The Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School, 617-522-3003
Please consult this guide for information about Boston-area law libraries and legal resources.