The most recent updates to Canvas were rolled out on June 3rd. Changes included:
Course Home Page Recent Announcements Display
In Course Settings, the Show recent announcements option displays for any Course Home Page. Previously recent announcements only displayed when the Course Home Page was set to the Front Page.
Rich Content Editor
Remote Version of Rich Content Editor and Sidebar Global Availability
This feature applies to a entire account. Canvas admins can enable this feature by contacting their Canvas Customer Success Manager.
The Rich Content Editor sidebar enhancements that exist in Pages and the Syllabus are available in all feature areas of Canvas, including Quizzes. The sidebar enhancements include a visual style update and pagination support. Currently the sidebar enhancements only display in Pages and the Syllabus.
Embedded Content Preview
When content is embedded through the HTML editor, switching back to the Rich Content Editor displays a preview of the iFrame content. Previously embedded content always displayed as a gray box and content could only be viewed once the page was saved. This change does not apply to media added through the Link to URL icon in the Rich Content Editor Menu.
Full Screen YouTube Link
In Pages, YouTube URLs linked in the Rich Content Editor support full-screen viewing. When users click the video thumbnail image, Canvas expands the video window to 425×344 pixels. To display the video in full screen, users can select the Full Screen option in the YouTube menu. This change allows users to view YouTube videos without having to open the video directly in YouTube.
When a table is added and selected in the Rich Content Editor, the table displays a context menu. This change allows for quicker table navigation and design access.
- Group Assignment Differentiated Due Dates: Previously created assignments can be changed to a differentiated group assignment. Explanation: When a previously created assignment was changed to a group assignment, and differentiated group due dates were added to the assignment, the assignment could not be saved. Canvas code has been updated to allow an assignment changed to a group assignment to support differentiated due dates.
- Scheduler Appointment Group and Syllabus: When an appointment group is deleted from the Calendar, the appointment group is also removed from the Syllabus. Explanation: When an appointment group was deleted from the Scheduler page, the appointment groups were still displaying in the Syllabus. This behavior affected appointment groups in the new Scheduler. Canvas code has been updated to remove appointment groups from the Syllabus when removed from the Calendar.
- Scheduler Appointment Group Details Page: The Scheduler Group Details page always includes a row to add a new time slot. Explanation: When an appointment group was published and later edited from the Calendar, the Group Details page only included one empty row to create a new time slot. After the time slot was created, the page did not create any additional rows for additional time slots. This behavior affected appointment groups in the new Scheduler. Canvas code has been updated to always include a blank row to include a new time slot.
- Scheduler Attendee List: If an appointment group allows, students can always see who signed up in a time slot. Explanation: When an appointment group allowed students to see who was signed up for a time slot, students could view attendees in any time slot. However, once a student signed up for a time slot, the list of attendees in that time slot could no longer be viewed by the student. This behavior affected appointment time slots in the new Scheduler. Canvas code has been updated to always show other attendees who have signed up for a time slot.
- Scheduler Time Slot Reservations: Students cannot sign up for or cancel time slots in the past. Explanation: When an appointment group was in the past, students were still able to reserve a time slot and cancel time slots. This behavior affected appointment groups in the new Scheduler. Canvas code has been updated to not allow students to modify past appointment signups.
- Announcements and Discussion Copies: Announcements and discussions from concluded courses are retained in course copies. Explanation: When a concluded course was copied to a new course, discussions and announcements were not included in the course copy and the import did not display any errors. Canvas code has been updated to retain previous discussions and announcements in course copies.
- Course Home Page Recent Announcements and URLs: Recent announcements display links as part of the announcement text. Explanation: When a course has enabled recent announcements in the Course Home Page, the body of the announcement displayed the URL markup around the URL. Canvas code has been updated to show links in announcements.
- Group Discussion Posts and Concluded Courses: When a group discussion in a concluded course is set to require users to post before seeing replies, all users can view the group discussion post. Explanation: When a course was concluded, all course roles other than students were unable to see group discussion posts that required users to post before seeing replies. Canvas code has been updated to allow all concluded users to view the group discussion posts.
- Groups List: In the Global Navigation Menu, the Groups link displays up to 10 active groups. Explanation: When a user accessed the Groups link, some active groups were not displayed in the Groups list if the user had more concluded groups than active groups. Canvas code has been updated to always show up to 10 active groups.