August 10, 2021
IJ is currently hiring in-person fall and spring semester clerkships at four of our offices around the nation (Arlington, VA; Miami, FL; Minneapolis, MN; and Seattle, WA). IJ is also excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for remote clerkships as well. These clerkships are excellent opportunities for law students who wish to learn more about public interest litigation and are interested in substantively contributing to active and future strategic litigation in both state and federal courts. Semester clerkships are either paid or can be used for class credit and they are part-time in order to accommodate law school schedules. IJ hires on a rolling basis. If you are interested in being considered for a semester clerkship, please apply now.
IJ recruits only the most talented law students from across the country for its clerkship program. During your semester with us, you will work closely with IJ attorneys to develop litigation strategies and assist in the nuts and bolts of cutting-edge civil rights litigation, including propounding and responding to discovery requests, drafting motions and briefs, and preparing for hearings.
Past assignments have included:
- Researching and preparing a United States Supreme Court cert. petition regarding just compensation in an eminent domain action;
- Participating in moots for dispositive-motion hearings in a challenge to protectionist mobile vending regulations;
- Analyzing discovery objections in a civil forfeiture class action lawsuit;
- Assessing how to certify a new class and add new plaintiffs to an existing class action;
- Developing litigation strategies for potential challenges to licensing requirements in several states across the country.
IJ is committed to ensuring that you get the most out of your semester and leave IJ better prepared for your legal career. Attorneys will work closely with you to set and achieve goals for the semester, including working on specific projects and cases. Through IJ’s mentorship program, you will receive both feedback and guidance on your work.
In addition to participating in IJ’s cutting-edge constitutional litigation, IJ clerks benefit from a semester packed with valuable opportunities to network with and learn from the country’s leading liberty advocates, policymakers and practitioners.