Title: HLAB Intern-Bilingual
Start Date: September 15th – May 20th
Estimated Salary: $13.50 per hour
An intern working over the academic year will have to:
- Interpret advocate meetings/interviews with clients at the Bureau and at Court (no court certification is needed as the intern won’t translate inside the courtroom)
- Filing and records keeping
- Data entry as well as performing a variety of other office tasks, such as faxing
- Court runs – Retrieving and submitting court records
- Working with members of the Board of Directors on assorted tasks including the President, Executive Director, Secretary/Treasurer, Outreach Director, Intake Director and Alumni Director
- Working with the Administrative Director and Program Administrator on various projects
- Assist Bureau members as needed with common office tasks for court appearances or trials
- Opportunity for after-hours volunteer work with the City Life Vida Urbana and Project No One Leaves
1) learning about local legal services organizations
2) working in a fast-paced environment
3) interviewing skills
4) law terminology in other languages
Position Requirements/Preferred Skills:
Candidate must be eligible for the Federal Work-Study Program.
Candidates that speak Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole are highly encouraged to apply.
The position requires a high school diploma and at least 1 year of office experience or customer service. Candidates must be able to work independently, have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills as well as multitask and prioritize. Strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary. Computer literacy is necessary. Microsoft applications including excel and familiarity with databases (Time Matters) is highly desirable.