Shaun A. Goho is the Deputy Director and Senior Staff Attorney of the Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic. In the Clinic, Mr. Goho supervises and trains students in environmental litigation, regulatory and policy advocacy, and client counseling. His partners and clients for this work include local, national, and international NGOs, state agencies, and local governments. He has written amicus briefs in high-profile environmental cases in the U.S. Supreme Court, multiple federal courts of appeals and district courts, and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. Current areas of focus for his work include federal environmental rollbacks, protecting the role of science in environmental policymaking, citizen science, climate change displacement, and lead in drinking water. He teaches the Environmental Law and Policy Clinical Course at the law school and Current Issues in U.S. Environmental Law for the Environmental Science and Public Policy program at Harvard College.
Before his work in the Clinic, Mr. Goho clerked for Judge Reginald C. Lindsay in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, and was an associate in the Washington, D.C. office of O’Melveny & Myers, with a practice largely focused on securities litigation, and in the Northwest Regional Office of Earthjustice, where he litigated a variety of environmental cases in state and federal court, with an emphasis on Endangered Species Act and water rights issues. Mr. Goho holds a J.D. from Harvard Law School, where he was Developments Editor of the Harvard Law Review, as well as a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Biology from McGill University.
- J.D. Harvard Law School, 2001
- M.Sc. Biology McGill University, 1997
- B.Sc. Biology McGill University, 1995
- Massachusetts, United States
- District of Columbia, United States (inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court, United States
- Ninth Circuit, United States
- D.C. Circuit, United States
- Federal Circuit, United States
- Western District of Washington, United States
- District of the District of Columbia, United States
- First Circuit, United States
- Mathieu Erramuzpe, Li Wang, Shaun Goho & Lynne Dzubow, Legal Issues in Dam Removal: A Guide for Massachusetts Dam Owners, Emmett Env't L. & Pol'y Clinic (Aug. 2020).
- Shaun A. Goho, Marcello Saenz & Tom Neltner, Rates Could Fund Lead Pipe Replacement in Critical States: Laws in States with the Most Lead Service Lines Support the Practice (Emmett Envtl. L. & Pol’y Clinic, Apr. 2019).
- Sara Dewey, Liz Hanson, Claire Horan, Wendy Jacobs & Shaun Goho, Opportunities to Address Climate Change in the Farm Bill (Harv. L. Sch. Emmett Envt’l L. & Pol’y Clinic, Dec. 2017).
- Joshua Kestin & Shaun A. Goho, Detecting Lead in Household Tap Water: Sampling Procedures for Water Utilities (Emmett Envtl. L. & Pol’y Clinic, Nov. 2017).
- Drew R. Michanowicz, Jonathan J. Buonocore, Sebastian T. Rowland, Katherine E. Konschnik, Shaun A. Goho & Aaron S. Bernstein, A National Assessment of Underground Natural Gas Storage: Identifying Wells with Designs Likely Vulnerable to a Single-Point-of-Failure, 12 Envtl. Res. Letters 064004 (2017).