Peter Murray taught his first course at HLS in 1978. In most years since then he has taught at least one course here. He was a full-time member of the HLS faculty from 1993 to 2008. For many years he combined part time teaching at HLS with practice as a trial lawyer in Maine. He served as the Director of the HLS Winter Trial Advocacy Workshop for more than 20 years.
In recent years, his courses here have been Evidence, Trial Advocacy Workshop and Oral Argument before International Tribunals Workshop.
Professor Murray’s academic interests include Evidence, Civil Procedure, Comparative Law, International Dispute Resolution, and the Legal Profession. He is available to supervise research projects and papers in these areas.
In 1998 he taught as a Fulbright Professor in Freiburg, Germany. His German Civil Justice (2004) is the standard English-language work on German civil procedure. He also has written on the role and function of Public Notaries in Germany and Europe. He has lectured and taught on comparative civil procedure, the American Legal System, and the role and function of public notaries in various settings around the world.
- LL.B. Harvard Law School, 1967
- A.B. Harvard College, 1964
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court, Maine, United States (1967)
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Massachusetts, United States (1967)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine, Maine, United States (1967)
- U.S. Disctrict Court, District of Massachusetts, Massachusetts, United States (1980)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit, United States (1975)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, United States (1987)
- U.S. Supreme Court, United States (1980)
- Hon. Edward T. Gignoux, U.S. District Court, District of Maine, 1967 - 1968
- Peter L. Murray & Rolf Sturner, German notaries in real estate and corporate law matters: preventative and restorative justice in Germany and the United States (2020).
- Eric D. Green, Charles R. Nesson & Peter L. Murray, Problems, Cases, and Materials on Evidence (4th ed. 2017).
- Eric D. Green, Charles R. Nesson & Peter L. Murray, Problems in Evidence (2014).
- Peter L. Murray, The Privatisation of Civil Justice, 85 Austl. L. J. 490 (2011).
- Peter L. Murray, French Notaries and the American Mortgage Crisis, in The Financial Crisis of 2008: French and American Responses - Proceedings of the 2010 Franco-American Legal Seminar 275 (Martin A. Rogoff, Michael Dixon & Eric Bither, eds., 2011).