Getting to Bookings
You can access Bookings through the Web Application by visiting https://outlook.office.com. Once logged in click the blue square icon in the top left corner.
It will provide links to all applications within Office 365, Bookings will be near the bottom.
Create Office Hours in Bookings
In order to create office hours, you will be creating a “Bookings Site” in Bookings lingo. Above “Home” you will see a drop-down menu. Click “New”.
A pop-up screen will appear. Enter the name of the office hours (Business type is optional). Click Continue when done.
Once the new “Bookings Site” is created you should be relocated to it. Make sure you are there by verifying the name on the left.
Define the Time Span (business Information)
The first step is to define the time span of the office hours (which days, start to finish). To do this go to the “Business information” tab on the left. Enter the name of the office hours as well as the location.
Under “Business hours” change all days office hours will not be held to “Closed”. For the days when office hours will occur, enter the start and end time of the entire session (you do not need to split into slots at this point).
Within this documentation we will use the example of office hours occurring on Monday and Wednesday, 1-3pm, 20 minute slots.
Click “Save” in the top left when complete.
Add The faculty member (Add Staff)
If you are a faculty assistant or other staff member, you will need to add the faculty member to this Bookings site. To do this click the “Staff” tab on the left side. Once there, click “Add staff”.
On the Staff Details page enter Faculty members information and take note of the following:
- Make the faculty an administrator so he/she can edit content.
- Check this box if the faculty member would like to receive email notifications of signups.
- Check this box to sync availability between the faculty member’s calendar and their office hours. For example if the faculty member adds something to their calendar during the time of an available office hour slot, that slot will be removed. If someone takes a slot, it will appear on their calendar. For more information on syncing, see Microsoft’s documentation.
- Use the same business hours that was set in “Business information”.
Create Office Hour Slots (Services)
Adding a service is where the office hours slots are created. A new service must be created before the “initial consult” can be deleted. To add a service click the “Add a service” button in the top left.
At beginning of the Service details page you may give it a name (i.e. office hours) as well as a location. Under “Default duration” is where the actual time slot duration is set. Remember that the days of the weeks and times spans were defined in the Business Information section. Under Assign staff, make sure to click the faculty member’s name so that the check mark appears. This is stating that the faculty member is the one who provides the service (i.e. office hours).
Further down the page are more options:
- Modify: By default users are required to enter their name and e-mail address. You may also ask for additional information, such as a phone numbers or specific questions.
- By default the user receives an email reminding them of the appointment a day before. This can be changed as well.
- Publishing options: check this box.
- Online Scheduling options: check this box.
Click “Save” in the top left.
Final Details and Publish (Booking page)
The final step is to publish the site. Click the “Booking page” tab on the left.
- Under Scheduling policy there are three items:
- Time increments: use the same time slot duration as given in the service.
- Minimum lead time: The number of hours before a slot by which a user cannot book or cancel.
- Maximum lead time: A slot cannot be booked father than this day in the future.
- Email notifications: Emails for created and changed bookings will be sent to the address stated in the “Business Information” tab.
- Staff: It’s best to leave this box unchecked, there is only one individual (the faculty member) who is associated with the service (the office hours).
Under the “Customize your page” settings you have a few more options:
4. Color theme: Choose a color theme (previewed above).
5. Display a logo (Logo can be uploaded on the “Business information” tab.
6. Change settings such as language or time zone.
At this point the only thing left to do is publish the page, click “Save and publish” in the top left corner.
Once published, you will be given a link to post. Users can click that link to find and sign up for office hour slots.
Signing up for Office Hours
When a user goes to the link provided they will be able to select a date and time as follows:
They can then enter their information below:
Once the user books a slot, the faculty member will get an email notification that looks like this:
It will also appear in their Outlook Calendar as follows:
Taken slots can also be seen in Bookings by clicking the “Calendar” tab on the left. An example would look like this:
Editing the Office Hours
Because Bookings and the Outlook calendar are synced, anything created on the faculty member’s calendar during an office hour slot will remove that slot as a sign up option.
If however you would like to block some period of time from Bookings without creating events in outlook, the “Time off” feature can be used.
In Bookings, go to the Calendar tab, then click “Time Off” across the top.
On the Time off details page, select the start and end time. It could be a time period across a single day or multiple days. Also, select the faculty member under the staff list. As always, click “Save” in the top left corner to save the changes.
Adding new dates/times
In order to add new slots, go to the “Business Information” tab and add additional dates and times. Remember that on this page only the duration needs to be added. That duration will be split into slots defined by the service tab. In the example below new slots will be created on Fridays between 2-4pm. They will be 20 minute slots, as defined above.