Submit the following to complete the requirement for Parent Personal Real Estate
- This web form (Parent Personal Real Estate Web Form) which includes detailed financial data about all personal real estate holdings (other than the primary residence). This includes, but is not limited to, all of the following: investment properties, rental properties, vacation homes, times shares, and land. You may include up to 6 properties in 1 submission. Figures should be reported in US currency.
- Any appropriate federal tax return documentation (i.e. 1040 Schedule E – Rental Income and Expenses, Form 8823 – Rental Income for Businesses, etc.) for each property via the SFS Secure Upload
HLS requires student aid applicants to provide financial information regarding all parents, including biological parents, step-parents, adoptive parents, and legal guardians, even in cases where parents are divorced. After documents are submitted, the HLS Financial Aid Committee will determine the appropriate information that will be incorporated into the parent resource assessment.
This document is listed as required because either the student indicated on his/her HLS Main Online Institutional Application that your household had ownership in a personal real estate OR when we reviewed your household’s 2016 Federal Form 1040 we saw personal real estate listed on your schedule E. Data about the primary home is not required since we receive this information from the Parent Financial Resources Web Form. If you feel this document is listed in error, please contact our office: email@example.com.
The above information is required because the student is applying for HLS need-based grant assistance. Understanding the financial circumstances of your personal real estate is a critical component of our ability to make accurate, complete and fair determinations of need-based aid eligibility to our students.
Our primary goals through this process are twofold:
- We want to get an in-depth understanding of the recent and current cash flow within all real estate in which your household is involved, and;
- We want to arrive at an appropriate and fair net worth in today’s dollars for all real estate in which your household is involved.
We appreciate your help and patience as we work hard to try and get the data we need to offer the student the best and fairest aid package possible.
A special note for step-parent(s)
With respect to real estate, generally speaking, if the real estate in question is the primary work activity of the step-parent, we will not use the income generated from this real estate in the determination of the student’s eligibility for need based aid since we do not include step-parents’ income in our analysis. However we still need to collect tax data on these real estate holdings because we do factor the net worth of all parental assets including the net worth of any real estate into our determination of aid eligibility. Our policy is to compile total net worth and then divide it in half to remove the 50% that belongs to the step-parent.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU BEGIN THIS FORM:
- This is a single session form which means that you need to complete the entire from in one session. You cannot complete a portion of the form now and then return at a different time to finish it.
- We suggest you read through the form before you begin to determine what back up data you need to have ready in order to successfully complete the entire form in one session.
- We estimate it will take between 20 and 30 minutes for you to complete this form depending on your specific circumstances.
- The “Submit Button” will only be enabled if you have filled in all of the REQUIRED Fields. REQUIRED Fields are denoted with an “*”.