Your browser does not support JavaScript

Program Description

During your second year of law school or the fall of your third year you can apply to the Study Abroad program via the International Legal Studies program. Once you have been granted approval to study at a foreign institution, you will be required to meet with Student Financial Services prior to leaving for your program abroad. This is generally done in a group setting via the International Legal Studies office.

Financial Aid application Process

You will apply for financial aid in the same manner as in previous years. See the Apply for Aid section for details on the process.

Your Student Bill

The Law School will charge regular Harvard Law School tuition for the period abroad. The tuition costs of the foreign school will be billed to Harvard Law School.  If you receive the bill, please forward it to the International Legal Studies office.

Additionally, Harvard will charge you both the University Health Service Fee and the Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance fee. If, after reviewing all of your insurance options, you decide you’d like to waive the Health Service Fee, you will need to contact the Harvard University Insurance Office. If you have appropriate medical coverage, you may also waive the Blue Cross/Blue Shield fee by going to the same web site. If you do not take action to waive one or both of these fees by the cancellation due date, you will be required to pay the fees in full. Please note that under federal student aid regulations, an allowance for the Harvard Student Health Insurance Plan, may be included in your student budget only if you are enrolled in the plan. If you waive coverage, the allowance will not be given and your total student budget will be reduced by the amount of the plan fee.

Your Student Budget

Your student budget will be increased by $1,500 to compensate for the additional travel and personal expenses related to your study abroad. This increase is eligible for grant assistance, if applicable. Keep in mind that the financial aid program is not able to assist students who pay for rent in two locations.

Summer Work Requirement

You will be held to the same summer work requirement as in previous years. If the requirement is not met, a penalty will be imputed. See the Student Contribution from Summer Income section of this web site for details on the summer work requirement.

Cash Advances and Refunds

We require all students who are studying abroad to sign up for direct deposit, if they have not already done so, by going to If you are eligible to receive a cash advance or refund, you will receive it via direct deposit once you have completed the check-in process with the Registrar’s office.

Other Considerations

You will be held to the same bill payment schedule as all other HLS students. You need to be certain that you have enough financial aid credits to cover you student Ebill, or make all the necessary payment arrangements prior to leaving for your semester abroad.

For more program-specific details, refer to the Semester Abroad web site or contact Sara Zucker in the International Legal Studies Programs.