As a new member of the Harvard Law School community, we know that you may have many questions about the resources available to you. Below we have provided a simple check list of items to help you get started before you start and what you need to do during your first few days at HLS.
We hope that you find these steps helpful in finding your footing.
Your first days at HLS
Your first days at HLS
Before you start
- Complete part A of the Employee Form I-9, which will be sent to the email you used to apply to Harvard. Look for an email from HLS-Electronic I-9 within 30 days of your start date.
- The Human Resources office will then provide instructions on completing part B of the Employee Form I-9, which includes review of acceptable document(s).
- Register for a Virtual Harvard University Orientation, a one-hour presentation covering Harvard’s benefits, followed by a resource fair with representatives from our benefits vendors who are available to answer your questions.
- Someday we will return to campus, so we also recommend you become familiar with the HLS campus! View a campus map.
On your first day
- ITS will provide you with your system access information, including your username and temporary password.
- You can Claim your Harvard Key, which will allow you access to many online systems, including PeopleSoft, our Human Resources Information System.
- Sign into PeopleSoft and complete the new hire onboarding tile, available in the afternoon, including:
- Emergency contact information
- Sign up for the MessageMe, our emergency notification system
- State & federal tax forms
- Direct deposit
- Harvard Confidentiality agreement
- Benefits elections (must be elected within 30 days)
Employees transferring from another Harvard school without a break in service should refer to the “Self-service” tab in PeopleSoft to review and update any benefits, transportation, or personal information.
During your first few weeks
- All new hires are invited to participate in an Information Technology Services orientation for setting up your account and devices. Additional information is provided in your offer confirmation email.
- Your Human Resources Business Partner will be a resource for you throughout your time at HLS. To ensure that you get to know who we are, all new hires are invited to meet with their Human Resources Business Partner. This meeting is an informal check in designed to make sure that you are getting the support and resources you need as your embark on your HLS journey.
As you acclimate to your new role at HLS, you may want to explore more of what makes up Harvard Law School. Here we have provided some links to guide you in and around working at HLS.