The mission of DOS Grant Funding is twofold:
- To encourage broader collaboration between student organizations and journals with distinct missions
- To help emerging or less visible (sometimes both) organizations find opportunities to add fresh perspectives to an already vibrant community of conversations
What We Fund
*DOS will consider granting awards in the amount of $10,000+ for up to three exceptional proposals that take the form of a conference.
Only officially recognized HLS student organizations and journals may apply. Student practice organizations, programs of study, and Harvard University graduate student organizations are not eligible.
The DOS Grant Fund application for the 2019-2020 academic year is live. The application deadline is Monday, September 30 at 11:59 pm. No exceptions.
Number of Applications You Can Submit
Each eligible student organization or journal may only be part of two DOS Grant Fund applications as either the primary or as a co-sponsoring applicant. We encourage you to be deliberate in choosing the organization(s) with which you have the best chance at putting together a thoughtful and compelling proposal.
Grant Fund Amounts
Eligible student organizations or journals can apply for grants in the following amounts:
- $500 – 1 or more student organizations or journals required
- $2,000 – 2 or more student organizations or journals required
- $3,000 – 3 or more student organizations or journals required
- $4,000 – 4 or more student organizations or journals required
Eligible student organizations or journals can apply for one conference award in the following amounts:
- $10,000 – 7 or more student organizations and journals required
- $20,000 – 14 or more student organizations and journals required
- $30,000 – 21 or more student organizations and journals required
Each eligible student organization or journal may be a part of only one conference award proposal. In other words, no “conference shopping.” We want to see interested organizations working together to develop a conference proposal that each participating organization is equally passionate about and committed to bringing to the HLS community.
- Submit only two DOS Grant Fund applications. You can apply for up to two Grant Awards or one Grant Award and one Conference Award.
- Collaborate with organizations and journals who have distinct missions from yours.
- Submit a thorough and thoughtful application including a detailed budget with estimated costs for speakers, speaker transportation, lodging and reasonable meal costs, catering/food, and AV/media services.
- Submit more than two DOS Grant Fund applications.
- Apply for funding for meals, benefit dinners/charity events, or study breaks.
- Submit an application with organizations and journals who have similar missions to yours.
- Submit an application with a Student Practice Organization or Program of Study (they are not eligible).
If you have questions about the DOS Grant Fund, please contact the Student Life Program Manager, Sam Parker (firstname.lastname@example.org).