The mission of DOS Grant Funding is twofold:
- To encourage broader collaboration between student organizations and journals with distinct missions
- To help emerging or less visible (sometimes both) organizations find opportunities to add fresh perspectives to an already vibrant community of conversations
What We Fund
*DOS will consider granting awards in the amount of $10,000+ for up to three exceptional proposals that take the form of a conference.
Only officially recognized HLS student organizations and journals may apply. Student practice organizations and Harvard University graduate student organizations are not eligible.
The DOS Grant Fund application for the 2019-2020 academic year will go live on Friday, August 16 at 9:00 am. The application deadline is Monday, September 30 at 11:59 pm. No exceptions.
Number of Applications You Can Submit
Each eligible student organization or journal may only be part of two DOS Grant Fund applications as either the primary or as a co-sponsoring applicant. We encourage you to be deliberate in choosing the organization(s) with which you have the best chance at putting together a thoughtful and compelling proposal.
Grant Fund Amounts
Eligible student organizations or journals can apply for grants in the following amounts:
- $500 – 1 or more student organizations or journals required
- $2,000 – 2 or more student organizations or journals required
- $3,000 – 3 or more student organizations or journals required
- $4,000 – 4 or more student organizations or journals required
Eligible student organizations or journals can apply for one conference award in the following amounts:
- $10,000 – 7 or more student organizations and journals required
- $20,000 – 14 or more student organizations and journals required
- $30,000 – 21 or more student organizations and journals required
Each eligible student organization or journal may be a part of only one conference award proposal. In other words, no “conference shopping.” We want to see interested organizations working together to develop a conference proposal that each participating organization is equally passionate about and committed to bringing to the HLS community.
- Submit only two DOS Grant Fund applications. You can apply for up to two Grant Awards or one Grant Award and one Conference Award.
- Collaborate with organizations and journals who have distinct missions from yours.
- Submit a thorough and thoughtful application including a detailed budget with estimated costs for speakers, speaker transportation, lodging and reasonable meal costs, catering/food, and AV/media services.
- Submit more than two DOS Grant Fund applications.
- Apply for funding for meals, benefit dinners/charity events, or study breaks.
- Submit an application with organizations and journals who have similar missions to yours.
- Submit an application with a Student Practice Organization or Program of Study (they are not eligible).
If you have questions about the DOS Grant Fund, please contact the Student Life Program Manager, Sam Parker (firstname.lastname@example.org).