Wills and Trusts
You can include the School in your will or trust for a specific amount or for a percentage of your residuary estate.
If you would like to include Harvard Law School in your will or trust, we recommend you use the following language:
I give (__dollars/__percentage or all of the residue of my estate) to the President and Fellows of Harvard College, a Massachusetts education, charitable corporation, for the benefit of Harvard Law School and to be used for [the Annual Fund, general and unrestricted purposes or for an endowment fund to support a specific area.]
A tax-free gift from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is a great way to support Harvard Law School’s continued excellence while also minimizing your tax bill for 2019. An IRA gift can fulfill your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD), which takes effect at age 70 ½ and is normally taxed as ordinary income.
How tax-free gifts from IRAs work
- Instead of taking your required distribution, you can make a qualified distribution (up to $100,000 per person) from your IRA directly to HLS.
- This distribution can count towards your RMD.
- There is no tax deduction, but the amount you send directly to us from your IRA is excluded from your income for federal tax purposes and you pay no income tax on this amount.
- The entire amount transferred supports Harvard Law School immediately.
- If you are celebrating your 50th, 55th, or 60th Reunion in the fall of 2019 or 2020, a gift from your IRA this year can be included in your Class Gift.
How to make an IRA Gift
Tax-free gifts from IRAs are simple to make. But remember, to satisfy your 2019 Required Minimum Distribution, the distribution must be completed by December 31, 2019.
To make your gift, instruct your IRA custodian to make a direct transfer from your IRA account to:
Harvard Law School
Attn: HLS Donor Services
1563 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
ADVANTAGES OF BEQUESTS, TRUSTS, AND IRAS
– Maintain control over your estate during your lifetime and direct its distribution posthumously.
– Bequests, trusts, and IRAs can be modified at any time during your lifetime.
– Ensure the long-term success of the School.