May 25, 2021
The Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps is seeking applications for our unpaid 2021 fall externship program. As an extern, you will gain hands-on legal experience in diverse legal practice areas while learning more about the Air Force JAG Corps.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Externs work under attorney supervision at Air Force and Space Force locations throughout the world. An extern’s duties vary based on location, but duties typically include researching legal issues, writing legal briefs and opinions, conducting investigations, interviewing witnesses, and performing other tasks as required. Externs support attorneys in numerous practice areas including criminal law, legal assistance, civil and administrative law, labor and employment law, international and operational law, space and cyber law, contract and fiscal law, medical law, claims and tort litigation, and environmental law.
• United States citizen (birth or naturalization)
• Enrolled in an ABA-approved law school
• Able to obtain law school permission for externship (credit is authorized)
• Available to work part time (8+ hours) or full time (for up to 40 hours) per week for 14-16 weeks
• Be able to obtain a Common Access Card through a security clearance
Apply by submitting your application to the Air Force JAG Corps, Professional Development Directorate by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, June, 2, 2021. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not accept late submissions or applications that do not comply with the below instructions.
Combine all required application documents into one PDF. The email subject line and the name of your PDF must be labeled “Last name, First name, 2021 Fall Externship Application (1L or 2L).”
All required document MUST be combined in one PDF in the order listed below:
1. Resume – limited to 1 page and must include current contact information and GPAs for undergraduate, graduate (if applicable), and law school.
2. Motivational Statement – limited to 1 page, double-spaced, 1-in margins, and 12 point font. Your motivational statement should explain why you are applying for an externship with the Air Force JAG Corps.
3. Geographic/Base Preferences Memorandum – limited to 1 page. List your anticipated availability (start/end dates and hours per week). Second, list your top five Air Force/Space Force base location preferences. Include the specific base and city/state. You can find base locations at https://www.airforce.com/lifestyle/locations and https://www.spaceforce.mil/About-Us/Space-Force-Locations. Lastly, include the following privacy act waiver statement: “I agree to the use of my Privacy Act Information in the USAF externship application process. I understand those transmitting personal information will exercise caution and adequately safeguard it in accordance with applicable Air Force instructions.”
4. Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law School Transcripts – unofficial copies are acceptable.
5. Writing Sample – limited to 5 pages. Do not include an introduction or summary page.
Externships are unpaid positions, but students may receive school credit. The Air Force will not pay for housing or travel expenses. Externs must be able to secure their own housing and pay for travel to and from the externship location.