The process of applying for SPIF, receiving funding, and confirming eligibility for the funding is a multi-step process completed between January and September. This timeline includes step-by-step instructions including forms (as they become available) and deadlines. If you have any questions regarding the program please contact the SPIF Office directly.
Review the SPIF Orientation and complete the SPIF Registration Form. The SPIF Orientation is a Power Point presentation which outlines program policies and requirements. The Registration Form is due February 10, 2017 however it will remain available online. Please note, while there is some flexibility on the Registration deadline this is not true of future SPIF deadlines.
Secure a SPIF eligible position for the summer of 2017 and apply for supplemental funding.
Notify the SPIF Office of your summer 2017 plan :
- If you no longer plan to participate in SPIF you will submit the Opt-Out Form to be removed from our email list.
- If you have secured a SPIF eligible placement and plan to participate in SPIF you will:
- Complete the SPIF Online Application Form – this Application, along with the Employer Response Form in Step 4 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 31, 2017 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2017.
- Submit a SPIF Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Be sure to fill out the Authorization Form completely, then attach the voided check before placing it in the drop box outside of the Student Financial Services office (WCC 5027); please disregard the note to send the form to Payroll. Non-US Citizens who will be working internationally should skip this step.
Have your employer complete and submit the Employer Response Form – this Form along with the SPIF Online Application Form in Step 3 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 31, 2017 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2017. Funding can only be requested once a month, so applications completed after March 31 will be disbursed as follows:
- Application completed by May 5, awarded in mid-May, funding disbursed June 1
- Application completed by June 2, awarded in mid-June, funding disbursed July 1
- Application completed by July 7, awarded in mid-July, funding disbursed August 1
In early April you will receive notification of your SPIF award and will be directed to review a Power Point presentation with further details regarding the requirements of the program.
Stipend checks will be available or direct deposited in early May for those students who have completed the above steps by March 31, 2017. We are only able to request stipend checks ONCE A MONTH, so while you will remain eligible for SPIF there will be a delay in the disbursement of funding as outlined in Step 4 for those students who miss the March 31st deadline.
Throughout the summer students should keep careful records of their weekly hours. We have a created an Optional Weekly Time Log students can use to record their time throughout the summer. The Excel sheet is for your personal record keeping ONLY and will not be accepted in lieu of or as an attachment to the Supervisor Evaluation and Time Log due on September 15th.
At the completion of your SPIF placement you will need to do the following:
- All SPIF recipients must complete a Student Placement Evaluation in Helios regarding their summer placement. Access to the evaluation in Helios begins one week before your placement ends based on the dates provided on your SPIF Application. To complete the form you will need to navigate to the Public Service Summary page. First edit the required position details by clicking on the Summer Intern position and then (edit position). Then click the “evaluate” link next to the position. If your placement organization appears incorrectly, please contact the HLS Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs or 617-495-5202 to fix it before filling out your evaluation. This form is due September 1, 2017. Please note the earlier due date!
- All SPIF recipients must submit a Supervisor Evaluation and Timelog(PDF) signed by their employer, verifying the number of hours they worked. This form is due September 15, 2017 and will be made available mid-summer.
- If the above forms are not submitted by Friday, September 15th your student account will be charged the entire amount of your SPIF award; this charge will be removed once the documents are received, however, we will close the SPIF process on October 13th, after which we will no longer reverse any charges. Additionally, the last day SPIF 2017 awards will be created is also October 13th.
For your convenience, we have worked with the HLS Pro Bono program to ensure all the information they need to process your HLS Pro Bono credit is included on the SPIF forms. Therefore, all paperwork should be submitted to the SPIF Office and we will forward copies to the HLS Clinical and Pro Bono Office; there is no need for you to submit duplicate paperwork to the Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs. HLS Pro Bono credit and hours will be processed in early fall.