If you have any questions regarding the program please contact the SPIF Office directly.
Review the SPIF Orientation and complete the SPIF Registration Form. The SPIF Orientation is a Power Point presentation which outlines program policies and requirements. The 2018 online SPIF Registration Form is available via a link at the end of the SPIF Orientation. The Registration Form was due February 9, 2018 however it will remain available online. Please note, while there is some flexibility on the Registration deadline this is not true of future SPIF deadlines.
- Secure a SPIF eligible position for the summer of 2018 and apply for supplemental funding.
- Start planning your summer budget! Use the SPIF Interactive Budget Tool to help you plan!
Notify the SPIF Office of your summer 2018 plan (the forms for this step will be available in late-February):
- If you no longer plan to participate in SPIF you will submit the Opt-Out Form to be removed from our email list.
- If you have secured a SPIF eligible placement and plan to participate in SPIF you will:
- Complete the SPIF Online Application Form – this Application, along with the Employer Response Form in Step 4 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 30, 2018 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2018.
- Submit a SPIF Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Be sure to fill out the Authorization Form completely, then attach the voided check before placing it in the drop box outside of the Student Financial Services office (WCC 5027); please disregard the note to send the form to Payroll. Non-US Citizens who will be working internationally should skip this step.
Have your employer complete and submit the Employer Response Form – this Form along with the SPIF Online Application Form in Step 3 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 30, 2018 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2018. Funding can only be requested once a month, so applications completed after March 30 will be disbursed as follows:
- Application completed by May 4, awarded in mid-May, funding disbursed June 1
- Application completed by June 1, awarded in mid-June, funding disbursed July 1
- Application completed by July 6, awarded in mid-July, funding disbursed August 1
In early April you will receive notification of your SPIF award and will be directed to review a Power Point presentation with further details regarding the requirements of the program. Additionally, at that point you will need to drop off a voided check and completed Direct Deposit Form at our office so we can attempt to have your award direct deposited (Note, for tax purposes we cannot have the awards of non-US residents who are working internationally direct deposited).
Stipend checks will be available or direct deposited in early May for those students who have completed the above steps by March 30, 2018. We are only able to request stipend checks ONCE A MONTH, so while you will remain eligible for SPIF there will be a delay in the disbursement of funding as outlined in Step 4 for those students who miss the March 30th deadline.
Throughout the summer students should keep careful records of their weekly hours. We have a created an Optional Weekly Time Log students can use to record their time throughout the summer. The Excel sheet is for your personal record keeping ONLY and will not be accepted in lieu of or as an attachment to the Supervisor Evaluation and Time Log due on September 14th.
At the completion of your SPIF placement you will need to do the following:
- All SPIF recipients must complete a Student Placement Evaluation in Helios regarding their summer placement. Access to the evaluation in Helios begins one week before your placement ends based on the dates provided on your SPIF Application. To complete the form you will need to navigate to the Public Service Summary page. First edit the required position details by clicking on the Summer Intern position and then (edit position). Then click the “evaluate” link next to the position. If your placement organization appears incorrectly, please contact the HLS Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs or 617-495-5202 to fix it before filling out your evaluation. This form is due September 1, 2018. Please note the earlier due date!
- All SPIF recipients must submit a Supervisor Evaluation and Timelog(PDF) signed by their employer, verifying the number of hours they worked. This form is due September 14, 2018 and will be made available mid-summer.
- If the above forms are not submitted by Friday, September 14th your student account will be charged the entire amount of your SPIF award; this charge will be removed once the documents are received, however, we will close the SPIF process on October 15th, after which we will no longer reverse any charges. Additionally, the last day SPIF 2018 awards will be created is also October 15th.
For your convenience, we have worked with the HLS Pro Bono program to ensure all the information they need to process your HLS Pro Bono credit is included on the SPIF forms. Therefore, all paperwork should be submitted to the SPIF Office and we will forward copies to the HLS Clinical and Pro Bono Office; there is no need for you to submit duplicate paperwork to the Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs. HLS Pro Bono credit and hours will be processed in early fall.