This web form is used to collect data about student’s financial resources, including both income and assets. Only those students who see this form on their personalized document list on My HLS Financial Aid need to submit it. Please answer all questions carefully and submit your data only once. If you need to make any corrections after submitting, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update our records accordingly.
Although government regulations specify that student eligibility for federal funds be based on the previous tax year information, we base eligibility for institutional funds on a more accurate “projected year” analysis based on your income in the current year. The Law School’s projected-year analysis uses the twelve month period running from the summer immediately proceeding the academic year for which the student is seeking assistance through the end of the 9-month academic year. In this way we can base the calculation of your student contribution from income on only your summer earnings. Summer is defined as follows:
- ENTERING (Class of 2018) Students – Summer is defined as the period between June 1, 2015 and August, 31, 2015.
- RETURNING/CONTINUING and NEWLY ADMITTED TRANSFER (Class of 2017) Students – Summer is defined as the period between the last day of classes for 2014-2015 and the first day of classes for 2015-2016.
HLS Student Financial Services uses a base line asset calculation determined by using the amount of personal assets the student reports at the time of their first application for financial aid. This is the form used to collect all of this base line data from any student at HLS applying for aid for their first time. In addition, if you get married at any time during your studies at HLS we will ask you to provide updated asset data on this form so that we can re-set your asset base line with asset data which reflects assets held by both you and your prospective spouse.
After we collect your asset data via this form and set your base line you will not be asked to re-report assets unless you realize an increase of more than $3,000 at any point during your time here at HLS. Savings from summer earnings and/or savings which result from leftover financial aid do not count towards this $3000 increase threshold. Summer income factors into our determination of your eligibility for aid in a different way and aid received is just that – aid – and not an asset increase. If you have an increase greater than $3000 it is your ethical responsibility to let us know by contacting your financial aid officer and/or submitting the Appeal/Change of Status Web Form with your updated information.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU BEGIN THIS FORM:
- This is a single session form which means that you need to complete the whole form in one session. You cannot complete a portion of the form now and then return at a different time to finish it.
- We suggest you read through the form before you begin to determine what back up data you need to have ready in order to successfully complete the entire form in one session.
- We estimate it will take between 20 and 30 minutes for you to complete this form depending on your specific circumstances.
- The “Submit Button” will only be enabled if you have filled in all of the REQUIRED Fields. REQUIRED Fields are denoted with an “*”.