In rare and exceptional cases, the Financial Aid Committee may waive the required submission of parental information. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis depending on the particular circumstances involved.
Submit the following to request the consideration of your circumstances by the Financial Aid Committee
- This web form (Petition for Waiver of Parent Info. Web Form) which includes a detailed explanation of your circumstances
- Supporting documentation in the form of a third-party letter from a person in a professional position who is familiar with the circumstances of your case – The person writing the statement should ideally have a long-term knowledge of your family’s history. Generally an acceptable letter comes from someone in the role of social worker, counseling professional, clergy, attorney or other professional who has personal knowledge of your family. The person writing this statement should be sure to include their name, address, phone number and their relationship to the student. NOTE: Letters from family members are generally not acceptable.
- In addition to a third party letter, any relevant legal orders/court documents that may be applicable to your situation to further document the circumstances of your case
Supporting documentation should be submitted via the SFS Secure Upload.
Please note that in cases of parental divorce, it is HLS policy to require financial information from both biological parents’ households in order to assess need. This documentation is required by HLS even in cases where court-ordered child support obligations have ended.
If the Financial Aid Committee waives the requirement of parental information for either or both parents in answer to an appeal, it may in some cases establish a minimum imputed parental contribution representing an average parental contribution assessment. Students can borrow to replace the amount of an imputed parental contribution in a financial aid package.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU BEGIN THIS FORM:
- This is a single session form which means that you need to complete the whole form in one session. You cannot complete a portion of the form now and then return at a different time to finish it.
- We suggest you read through the form before you begin to determine what back up data you need to have ready in order to successfully complete the entire form in one session.
- We estimate it will take between 15 and 20 minutes for you to complete this form depending on your specific circumstances.
- The “Submit Button” will only be enabled if you have filled in all of the REQUIRED Fields. REQUIRED Fields are denoted with an “*”.