- Google yourself to see what is out there about you online.
- Build a professional, well-written, up-to-date online profile.
- Remove any inappropriate personal pictures or commentary posted online.
- Remember that any information you provide online will likely live there forever.
- Post inappropriate personal pictures or commentary (e.g., involving or referencing alcohol, drugs, or weapons).
- Use profanity.
- Post pictures or commentary from/about your employer, job, coworkers, clients, witnesses, etc.
- Post confidential information.
- Upload anything you wouldn’t want everybody to see.
- “Friend” on Facebook or other social media (Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) permanent staff, supervisors, or hiring contacts.
- Note that once you begin work, it may be appropriate to ask your employer contacts to connect via Linkedin; it may also be appropriate to “friend” fellow interns.