Deadline July 31. Legal Fellow Location: Washington, DC or Chicago About the Obama Foundation Founded in January 2014, the Obama Foundation is the platform for former President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama’s philanthropic activities and an integral part of their voice for continued civic engagement. The Foundation is a living, working start-up for citizenship — an ongoing project to shape together what it means to be a good citizen in the 21st century. It is based on the South Side of Chicago and will have projects all over the city, the country, and the world. From the very beginning, President Obama asked all Americans to believe in the power of ordinary citizens to bring about change. The Obama Foundation will create programs to engage young leaders from around the world, identify and broadcast innovative approaches to civic engagement, and connect communities by fostering conversations to bridge difference and creatively solve problems. Together, we have made extraordinary progress in meeting these challenges. Because there is more to do, this work will live on in the Obama Foundation. For more information on the Obama Foundation, please visit www.obama.org. About the Role The Legal Fellow will work closely with Foundation attorneys to provide legal advice and assistance across a wide range of issues that arise in a fast-growing and mission-focused Presidential foundation. Issue areas include 501(c)(3) compliance, intellectual property law, employment law, and commercial contract negotiation. Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist the Legal Department in triaging and responding to a high volume of legal inquiries and issues.
- Review, draft, and negotiate contracts under senior lawyer supervision in support of the Foundation’s programming and operational departments. Monitor and track contracts through management of the Foundation’s contract management software.
- Help ensure Foundation compliance with range of applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintain ongoing communication and coordination of Legal Department policies and projects to and with all Foundation departments.
- 1-year position, with option to extend for second year
- Location: Washington, D.C. or Chicago
- J.D., bar admission in relevant jurisdiction, and up to three years of legal experience
- Superior writing, legal research and project management skills needed
- Must be resourceful, discreet and motivated by the Foundation’s mission
- Experience in transactional/corporate work preferred
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, July 31st. Very competitive salary and benefits. The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.