OPIA has full- and part-time attorney advisors on staff to work with students and alumni in every step of the public interest job search. We can help you:
- think through the types of work that might interest you;
- identify organizations offering internships, fellowships, and post-graduate positions;
- build your networks;
- improve your interviewing and networking skills;
- and advise you on next steps in the application process.
Appointments are held in person or over the phone.
- We also offer appointments with Wasserstein Fellows and other practicing attorneys who share their experiences in the field.
- Domestic judicial clerkship advising is handled by the Office of Career Services.
How do I make an appointment?
Appointments for 1L students
1L students may meet with an advisor after October 15. The availability of 1L appointments will be announced each October. The only exception to this rule is for 1L students applying for fellowships or scholarships with early fall deadlines; these students may sign up with Judy Murciano, Fellowships Director, at any time.
What do I need to do before my appointment?
Before you arrive for your first appointment, you will need to complete the self-assessment and upload your resume into the public interest database.
Can I email my questions or just drop by?
Advisors do have walk-in hours; they are posted in our events calendar. Walk-in hours are for quick questions only.
NOTE: OPIA advisors are not available to answer advising questions via email; students are advised to make an appointment. Quick questions, such as follow up on a networking contact or notes on a resume, may be answered over email. Longer questions, such as deciding between job offers or choosing a path after a summer experience, require an appointment.
Can I meet with more than one advisor?
Yes, certainly. We do ask that 1Ls sign up for just one appointment in November so that we may accommodate all interested students.
How do I cancel or reschedule my appointment?
Visit our online appointment system and log in at the top of the page. You will then see all your scheduled appointments; from here, you can cancel and reschedule.