Harvard University requires students traveling abroad under HLS auspices—for HLS academic credit and/or with Harvard funding—to review, sign, and submit an Assumption of Risk form, which also includes emergency contact information. There are three different forms, each designed for a certain type of international travel. Students should carefully review the form descriptions to select the appropriate form for their travel.
Prior to departure, HLS students must:
- Select the appropriate form below
- Complete the online form
- Print and sign the form
- Submit the form to their sponsoring program, or to International Legal Studies, by one of the following methods:
- Scan and email to email@example.com
- Fax to 617-496-9179 (attention International Legal Studies)
- Deliver to Suite 5005 of Wasserstein Hall
Students with questions about the forms should contact International Legal Studies (see contact information at left) for assistance.
Choose the Appropriate Form
- Independent International Travel with Harvard Sponsorship or Credit. This form should be used by graduate or professional school students participating in study abroad, thesis or dissertation research, or an international internship arranged by the student. Students traveling abroad with winter term international travel grants, Winter Writing Program research, clinical projects and programs, summer internships (Summer Public Interest Funding projects, Chayes International Public Service Fellowship, Human Rights Program Summer Internship, etc.) or other pro bono work should use this form.
- International Travel Course. This form should be used by students participating in classes for which travel is required, although the course itself is not a condition of receiving a degree.
- International Field Trips Led or Organized by Harvard. This form should be used by students participating in certain international field trips for a Harvard course or program and certain Harvard research expeditions abroad, regardless of whether a student is receiving Harvard funding or academic credit. (Students participating in trips that fall into this category will be notified by the sponsoring program.)