The Dean’s Award for Excellence 2014 honorees will be selected in accordance with the following award criteria:
An effective collaborator works effectively with others to produce positive results. This person may approach his/her work in the following ways:
- Solicits diverse views in completing projects;
- Establishes effective partnerships across multiple levels of the organization;
- Builds consensus in decision-making;
- Shares knowledge or information contributing to group success;
- Increases success of team(s) through process of cooperative problem-solving.
A deeply committed staff member demonstrates a dedication to his/her work, which in turn contributes to the vibrancy of the HLS community. This quality manifests itself when an employee:
- Demonstrates an intense commitment to provide excellent service to co-workers, students and faculty;
- Shares enthusiasm for the School with others;
- Maintains perseverance in the face of adversity;
- Is known in the community as a reliable go-to person, willing volunteer or good citizen (e.g. reaches out to new staff; motivates others around a cause) who enriches the School.
An innovative staff member shows outstanding creativity when confronted with challenges, issues or a need or desire for improvement. One might approach his/her work in the following ways:
- Actively seeks ways to advance beyond the status quo;
- Proactively identifies novel, creative ways to improve upon processes or service delivery;
- Implements change in a positive manner and strives to ensure its success;
- Demonstrates ability to stir the pot for positive, fresh impact;
- Approaches problem-solving with a solution orientation.
A strong leader demonstrates a unique ability to guide and inspire others, which in turn contributes to the effective and efficient functioning of the School. Both managers and non-managers may possess, and make evident, strong leadership in the following ways:
- Inspires and encourages personal and professional development in others;
- Builds strong relationships that support a high level of trust and credibility;
- Adapts readily to new situations;
- Effectively persuades others using keen organizational awareness;
- Mentors and cultivates employees, creating a culture of respect that fosters an atmosphere conducive to achievement;
- Contributes to the success of an initiative that benefits those outside his/her own department and/or places emphasis on collaboration within and among departments.
One who ensures that learning is integrated with work,Â and uses the knowledge gained to improve business results may approach his/her work in the following ways:
- Converts information, business data and processes into opportunity;
- Views mistakes as stepping stones essential to further growth;
- Promotes transfer of knowledge and influence from person to person;
- Recognizes and responds to differing learning preferences and cultivates other’s abilities and talents;
- Models an open attitude toward self-evaluation;
- Promotes self-direction and empowers colleagues to make decisions;
- Celebrates the learning process for its own sake;
- Works under the assumption that everything is subject to re-examination and acts on opportunities to implement positive change.
Honorees will be chosen based upon the degree of demonstrated excellence and the impact of his/her actions. Strong nominees may exhibit several of the characteristics listed above.