The Dean’s Award for Excellence 2016 honorees will be selected in accordance with the following award criteria:
An effective collaborator works effectively with others to produce positive results. This person may approach their work in the following ways:
- Solicits diverse views in completing projects;
- Establishes effective partnerships across multiple levels of the organization;
- Builds consensus in decision-making;
- Shares knowledge or information contributing to group success;
- Increases success of team(s) through process of cooperative problem-solving.
A deeply committed staff member demonstrates a dedication to their work, which in turn contributes to the vibrancy of the HLS community. This quality manifests itself when an employee:
- Demonstrates an intense commitment to provide excellent service to co-workers, students and faculty;
- Shares enthusiasm for the School with others;
- Maintains perseverance in the face of adversity;
- Is known in the community as a reliable go-to person, willing volunteer or good citizen (e.g. reaches out to new staff; motivates others around a cause) who enriches the School.
An innovative staff member shows outstanding creativity when confronted with challenges, issues or a need or desire for improvement. One might approach their work in the following ways:
- Actively seeks ways to advance beyond the status quo;
- Proactively identifies novel, creative ways to improve upon processes or service delivery;
- Implements change in a positive manner and strives to ensure its success;
- Demonstrates ability to stir the pot for positive, fresh impact;
- Approaches problem-solving with a solution orientation.
A strong leader demonstrates a unique ability to guide and inspire others, which in turn contributes to the effective and efficient functioning of the School. Both managers and non-managers may possess, and make evident, strong leadership in the following ways:
- Inspires and encourages personal and professional development in others;
- Builds strong relationships that support a high level of trust and credibility;
- Adapts readily to new situations;
- Effectively persuades others using keen organizational awareness;
- Mentors and cultivates employees, creating a culture of respect that fosters an atmosphere conducive to achievement;
- Contributes to the success of an initiative that benefits those outside his/her own department and/or places emphasis on collaboration within and among departments.
One who ensures that learning is integrated with work, and uses the knowledge gained to improve business results may approach their work in the following ways:
- Converts information, business data and processes into opportunity;
- Views mistakes as stepping stones essential to further growth;
- Promotes transfer of knowledge and influence from person to person;
- Recognizes and responds to differing learning preferences and cultivates other’s abilities and talents;
- Models an open attitude toward self-evaluation;
- Promotes self-direction and empowers colleagues to make decisions;
- Celebrates the learning process for its own sake;
- Works under the assumption that everything is subject to re-examination and acts on opportunities to implement positive change.
Honorees will be chosen based upon the degree of demonstrated excellence and the impact of their actions. Strong nominees may exhibit several of the characteristics listed above.