Harvard Law School is committed to the University-wide goal to reduce waste per capita 50% by 2020 and has long been a leader in reducing waste at Harvard. Waste reduction initiatives include campus-wide composting and single-stream recycling, Freecycle events and donation stations, and electronic waste collection areas.
What to Compost
- All food waste
- Tea bags
- Coffee grounds
- Wooden stirrers
- Paper towels
- All Hark to-go containers
WHAT TO RECYCLE
All in one bin:
- Paper items & cardboard
- Glass jars & bottles
- Plastics (#1-7)
- Metal cans & foil
WHAT TO PUT IN THE TRASH
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic bags
WHAT TO DO WITH E-WASTE
Electronic waste collection areas are located at the ITS Help Desks in the WCC basement. Use the University-wide map of e-waste collection points to find additional locations.
- Light bulbs
- Cell phones
- Adapters and chargers
- Electrical cords
- CFLs should also be recycled at these locations, preferably sealed in bubble-wrap.
- Please wrap all batteries in tape to reduce the possibility of short circuits and fires during transport.
- Computers, monitors, laptops, printer cartridges (both toner and inkjets), and other large electronic equipment, for secure destruction, can be brought to the ITS Help Desks in the WCC basement for recycling.
WHAT TO TERRACYCLE
The HLS Green Team manages over 12 Terracycle drop off boxes across campus. Through Terracycle, we are able to upcycle items that would otherwise end up in the landfill into new products.
- Chip bags
- Writing instruments
- Cookie wrappers
- Energy and granola bar wrappers
WHAT TO REUSE
Harvard Law School is committed to minimizing waste by promoting reuse. Each year, new students receive an HLS reusable travel mug at orientation, which they can use to receive free morning coffee throughout the year by the Pub Servery and for discounts at the Café.
The HLS Green Team hosts quarterly Freecycles, through which you can drop off items such as office and school supplies that you no longer need and pick up something new-to-you for free.
Donation Stations are located in the Hark Concourse year-round. Each spring during move out, donation stations are set up throughout the dorms. Unwanted clothing, dorm furniture and décor, dry goods and other materials, will be donated or sold back to the student body at reasonable prices during the annual Stuff Sale at the start of the academic year, with all proceeds going towards charitable organizations including Habitat for Humanity.
- Facilities Management Office: If you’re looking to either get rid of or acquire used furniture, contact Facilities at email@example.com or 517-495-5521.
- HLS Freecycle listserv: Join the HLS Freecycling e-mail list by sending a plain text e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Subscribe hlsfreecycle.”
HLS-List: Check out the HLS List, an online classifieds portal for HLS students run by the Dean of Students Office. Students may create an account and then post items for sale/giveaway/wanted.