The Program for Third Year Visits is available for third year HLS students who desire to study out of residence, at another ABA accredited law school, due to personal hardship or for academic enhancement. In order to participate in this program, you must petition the HLS Administrative Board, through the Dean of Students Office.
The Administrative Board will approve up to five students each year for each program (Visits To and Away), basing its decisions on the significant personal circumstances presented. Please note that living apart from a spouse or significant other does not, in and of itself, constitute a significant circumstance for purposes of the Third Year Visiting Program.
- The Third Year Visiting Program is available in the third year only.
- The application deadline for both programs is the first Friday in February.
- The participating student is responsible for confirming that the visiting school meets the home school grade deadlines in order to be able to graduate.
Applying to visit away from Harvard Law School:
- Petition the Administrative Board via email to the Dean of Students (send email to dos @ law) explaining your reasons for wanting to spend your third year at another school. Please include the following information:
- The school(s) you wish to visit
- Your plans to complete the third year paper requirement
- Your plans to complete the professional responsibility requirements
- Contact the other law school to determine their criteria for allowing third year visits (contingent on HLS Administrative Board approval).
- Once accepted, your courses and academic program at the other school must be approved in advance by the Associate Registrar.
For additional Financial Aid information about the program, please visit Student Financial Services’ site.
Applying to visit Harvard Law School:
- Send a letter/e-mail to the Administrative Board with an explanation of the reasons you want to spend your third year at Harvard Law School. Address your letter to the secretary of the Administrative Board:
Ellen M. Cosgrove
Dean of Students
1563 Massachusetts Ave., P310
Cambridge, MA 02138
dos @ law
- Please include a certified transcript from your home law school.
- If your reason for wanting to attend Harvard Law School for your third year involves a joint degree or teaching position at another Harvard school or a spouse/partner relocation to study or work at Harvard, please include that information in your request.
Please note that students visiting Harvard Law School as part of the Third Year Visiting Program will receive their law degrees from their home law school and will be subject to the academic rules of their home institution as well as those of Harvard Law School.
Decisions on the Third Year Visiting Program will be made in early April.