Your browser does not support JavaScript

American Bar Association


This site contains a lot of helpful information, especially if you have never worked with an attorney before. Learn about hiring and paying a lawyer, disagreements with your lawyer, solving problems without a lawyer and getting free legal help.

Boston Bar Association


617-742-0625 (fax: 617-523-0127)

Agency will first “evaluate” problems via telephone and then refer client to a lawyer or appropriate agency. No charge for the telephone referral. The charge for a consultation with a lawyer is no more than $25.00 for first half-hour. There are reduced fee referrals for those who make $15,000 or less (gross) and those on public assistance. Reduced fee attorneys charge up to $75 per hour. There are no free attorneys. The decision to take a case on a reduced fee basis is made by the attorney.

Hale and Dorr Legal Services Center



Intake hours are Mondays and Wednesdays 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. and Tuesdays 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. These hours are subject to change so please call to confirm.

Harvard Legal Aid Bureau



Call between 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. The Harvard Legal Aid Bureau is a legal services office staffed by court-certified law students and lawyers. It provides free legal services to low-income people in Middlesex and Suffolk counties. The Bureau handles cases primarily involving housing, government benefits, and domestic relations. They do not handle criminal cases, bankruptcies, personal injury claims, or workers’ compensation claims.

Greater Boston Legal Services

617-371-1234 or 800-323-3205

You may be eligible for GBLS if you live within their service area and your income does not exceed 125% of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines. (Elderly clients and Medicare beneficiaries are not subject to the income guidelines.) GBLS offers legal assistance ranging from advice to full representation, depending on clients’ needs. When you call, an advocate will speak to you and determine whether GBLS can help. Even if they can’t take your case, they may be able to refer you to other resources to help you solve your problem.

Massachusetts Bar Association



Call between 9 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. A fee of $25.00 or less will be charged for the initial legal consultation of (1/2) one-half hour. There are reduced fee referrals (no more than $75) for financially limited clients who may require additional legal assistance. No free legal services and no free advice.

  • CAUTION: After the initial consultation period is over, the attorney may charge his/her normal rate for the rest of the session. With this in mind, it is advisable to ask about the length of the initial consultation and fees immediately.

Middlesex County Bar



Serves Middlesex County (Cambridge and Somerville) only.
Call between 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Free clinics are available for the residents of Middlesex County who fall within low-income brackets and cannot afford a lawyer. Consultations of 15-30 minutes are held on Wednesdays, by appointment (5 p.m., 5:30 p.m., or 6 p.m.).

The lawyer consulted can be retained; referrals are also made.
Location: Middlesex Superior Court House, 40 Thorndike Street, 4th floor.

National Lawyers Guild



Call between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Monday – Friday

Clients are referred to attorneys who charge fees on a sliding scale basis. Charge for the initial half hour phone consultation is $15.00. Individuals with serious financial difficulties should mention this to the attorneys as they may be able to arrange accommodations.

Tenant Advocacy Project



The Harvard Tenant Advocacy Project (TAP) is a student practice organization dedicated to representing residents of publicly subsidized housing before local housing authorities. They provide assistance to low- and moderate-income tenants who are facing eviction or who have been denied admission to public housing or a subsidy program. TAP also provides advice on general landlord-tenant questions.

Harvard Housing Office Recommends

  • Community Legal Services and Counseling Center 617-661-1010
  • Cambridge Legal Services 617-494-1800

Other useful agencies

The information on this page has been researched and provided by the Dean of Students office. If you find that any of this information is no longer current, or if you have additional questions that are not answered here, please send an e-mail to