To Apply for Harvard Law School Housing, you must meet the following criteria:
- Plan to register as a full-time student at Harvard Law School for the term in which you seek housing
- Intend to live individually (HLS Housing does not accommodate partners, children, or relatives)
Full Academic Year Application Process
The Housing Application is submitted through an online portal called “HAHLS” (Home at Harvard Law School). Application deadlines are established based on your student classification for the upcoming semester.
There are three large-scale Room Selection Processes, and each one has its own deadlines. The inventory of rooms on campus are divided between the three processes:
- Returning Student Selection (JD 2Ls, 3Ls, and returning SJDs) – 200 rooms
- Incoming JD Student Selection (JD 1Ls) – 250 rooms
- Incoming LLM Student Selection (Incoming LLMs) – 112 rooms
Step 1 - Apply.
Submit your application by your deadline to be entered into the lottery for a Room Selection Window. Each classification (Returning student, Incoming JD, and Incoming LLM) has a separate application deadline and series of Room Selection Windows.
There is no advantage to submitting your application early, as all applications submitted by your application deadline will be placed in the lottery for a Room Selection Window.
Step 2 - Check.
Check your e-mail on the designated date to see if you were drawn for a Room Selection Window.
Step 3 - Select.
- If you received a room selection window, begin selecting and shopping for a room at your designated date and room selection window time.
- If you applied on time, but did not receive a Room Selection Window, begin selecting a room the day after your classification’s Room Selection Windows end.
- If you applied after your classification’s designated application deadline, you can select a room at a later designated date.
Step 4 - Sign.
Once you select a room, you will have 72 hours to sign your Room License Agreement (dorm-style rooms) or Apartment Lease (apartment-style rooms).
Step 5 - Shop.
Keep shopping! Since cancellations and room swaps occur throughout the summer, you are free to log back on and use the Room Swap Tool to change your room as many times as you would like, even after signing your Residence License Agreement.*
(*Dorm rooms only – once an apartment lease is signed for an apartment, the assignment is finalized.)
Step 6 - Finalize.
Your Housing Assignment* will be finalized later in the summer when Room Selection ends. You can find the end date on the Room Selection Dates page.
(*Dorm rooms only. Apartment assignments are finalized as soon as a student signs their HLS Apartment Lease)
- What is HAHLS?
- How can I be included in the lottery?
- If I submit my application on the first day the application opens, will I be guaranteed a Room Selection Window?
- I need my Harvard ID Number (HUID) to sign my Room License or Apartment Lease. Where can I find it?
- What is Room Swap in HAHLS?
- What is a student classification?
- What if I am in need of certain housing accommodations?
- I did not get a lottery window. Does that mean I have no chance of living in HLS Housing?