1. Option 1
a) The Option 1 registration form with the faculty supervisor’s signature and attached proposal must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the following dates:
- Fall Term: October 6, 2017 (second and third-year students)
- Winter Term: November 6, 2017
- Spring Term: February 2, 2018 (all J.D. students)
b) Students should present their proposals to the faculty supervisor for approval well in advance of these deadlines as faculty members may require additional preliminary work before accepting a proposal.
c) First-year students may register for Option 1 in the spring term, in addition to enrolling in an upper-level elective of two to four Harvard Law School classroom credits, provided they receive prior approval from the Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
2. Option 2
a) The Option 2 registration form with the appropriate signatures must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the following dates:
- Third-year students: February 1, 2018.
- First- and second-year students: the deadline is Feb 1 (or the first weekday following if the 1st falls on a weekend) of the 3L year
b) Verification signatures are needed as follows for Option 2 registration:
i. Law school course or seminar papers: No verification signature needed.
ii. Clinical Writing: The following verification signatures are needed for clinical work:
- In-house clinics: Harvard Law School Clinical Faculty Director
- Externship Placements: Harvard Law School Faculty/Lecturer on Law Clinic Director and Direct Clinical Supervisor
iii. Moot Court Briefs:
- Ames – Board of Student Advisors
- Other – Faculty Supervisor of the Moot Court Competition Team
iv. Law Journal Writing: Journal Editor-in-Chief
v. Non-traditional Legal Writing: Faculty Supervisor